Ignorance is not an excuse in the court of law is what they say! Knowing the rules and regulations that guild any community is important, especially when one is new to the environment. There are different immigration laws in the United States that every immigrant or prospect immigrant should know before moving into the country. To become a citizen of the US through naturalization requires a process that involves knowing the necessary immigration laws. Understanding the US immigration law will go a long way in becoming a legal citizen of the country.
What to know about the United States immigration
To be a law-abiding individual in the United States, one needs to understand some essential immigration law. A lot of people have made the mistake of ignoring common and useful immigration laws that later backfired. Below are some things that every immigrant in the United States should read about.
Types of visa – if you are planning to immigrate to the United States but not familiar with the different visa types, then it is time to read more about the visa types. Doing this will enlighten you on the different types of visa and will help in choosing the best visa that is suitable for you. There are two categories of the United States visa, i.e. the immigrant visa and the non-immigrant visa.
- Immigrant visa – this includes any type of visa that requires one to stay in the USA permanently. There are a few ways by which one can get this type of visa. Also, this type of visa gives immigrant the right to have a green card and becoming a legal citizen of the United States is possible as well.
- Non- immigrants – every type of visa that does not give an immigrant the chance to live in the United States permanently falls under this category. Visas like the student visa, business visa, visiting visa, and tourist visa falls under this category.
Immigration process – immigration process can be considered as a long process if the wrong steps are taken at the right time. Thus it is always advisable for everyone planning to move the United States to know the right immigration process. To know this, one can consult;
- Travel agents – seeking inquiries from qualified travel agents can be of help when getting information about the immigration process. Note; never ask a friend who does not have a good understanding of the process just because you believe he/she will know.
- Search engines – make search engines like Google, ask, and other popular search engines, your friend. Google will never mislead you if you put the right keywords. Visiting websites that explain the US immigration process in details will go a long way. Also, visiting the official website of the United States immigration will help one in getting the right information needed to process one’s visa.
- Friends and relatives – asking friends and relatives about the US immigration process can also help, especially when the right set of individuals is consulted. Asking friends that have good knowledge and a better understanding of the process will help as well. Experience they say is the best teacher; seeking information from someone who has good experience of the process will help.
If you are planning to visit the US, never ignore the ESTA Visa USA. Well, one might think the three big words are together, but it is not so. The ESTA is a document similar to the Visa but only for countries that belong to the visa waiver program countries. ESTA visa status is for citizens that are eligible for an ESTA.
Naturalization – naturalization in the United States and every other part of the world involves the process of becoming a legal citizen of a country. This process takes a whole lot of time; 10 years in some countries. In the United States, one must have lived in a state for at least 3years without any criminal record before one can be considered.
Benefits of knowing and understanding the US immigration law
Criminal record – knowing the US immigration law will prevent one from falling victim of ignorance. To become a citizen through naturalization in the US, one needs to maintain a good criminal record. Maintaining a good criminal record involves not involving oneself in different criminal acts.
Knowing one’s right – having a better understanding of US immigration will help newcomers. There are some areas where knowing one’s right will help; these areas include:
Employment – since a lot of business owners prefer to employ immigrants because they believe that immigrants are innocent and do not have a better understanding of the immigration laws that favor them. To stop this from happening, one needs to understand common and related immigration laws.
Students – there are some immigration laws in the United States that favor international students if only they know. As an international student in the United States, there are some benefits readily available and knowing immigration laws as a student will earn you the various benefits.